Modern Abstract, acrylic on paper
- Artist: Rowan Blatt
- Date: mid-20th century
- Medium: acrylic on paper
- Style: abstract
- Unframed size: approximately 23.5 x 17.5
- Framed size: approximately 29 x 23
- Signed: “Rowan Blatt” in the lower right
- Condition: craft paper in vintage condition (with some visible pulp); small folds and tears along all four edges; craquelure; some paint loss; image off center on paper
- Framing: Work is mounted in a shadow box style on a chalk white mat, framed in a muted gold box frame under acrylic.
- Price: $335 (plus sales tax for TX residents)
Stunningly beautiful on a crisp white wall, the relationship of primary colors in this piece jumps off the paper creating a focal point for any space. One of two works in the gallery by Rowan Blatt illustrating color field painting, this work exemplifies the removal of gestural components found in Cubist works by Juan Gris or Pablo Picasso, while retaining the optical interplay and the interaction of colors in their purest form. This “disappearance of the gestural,” as described by critic Michael Fried, emphasized color and shape rather than action or depth of field.